We apply full and partial dentures to our Brantford clinic patients, and build confidence with denture adjustments, repairs and realignment services. Our in-house doctor is a certified denturist who will create one-of-a-kind dentures that feel good, look natural and are custom designed to fit your mouth reliably and comfortably.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are natural-looking replacement teeth that are removable. There are two types of dentures: full and partial.
- Full dentures are given to patients when all of the natural teeth have been or will be removed. a clinic will usually place conventional full dentures after the gum tissue has healed, which can take several months. Immediate full dentures are placed immediately after the teeth have been removed and may require frequent adjustments during the first couple of months of use.
- Partial dentures are attached to a metal frame that is connected to your natural teeth and are used to fill in where permanent teeth have been removed. Partial dentures are considered a removable alternative to bridges.
How Do I Know if Dentures are Right for Me?
Dentures are not for everyone. If you’re interested in learning more about dentures and want to know if they are the right choice for you, please schedule an appointment. Our team will be happy to answer any questions you might have, and can determine the best course of treatment for your ongoing dental health and whether dentures are right for you.
After Your Dentures are Placed
After you’ve left our clinic with your new dentures, you’re going to start experiencing things in your mouth that you are not used to. In the following video, Dr. Pio Modi explains what to expect after your dentures are placed.
Caring for Your Dentures After Placement
Dentures—just like your natural teeth—require daily maintenance to stay clean, healthy and keep bacteria from growing inside of your mouth. Your main objective is to make sure to keep your dentures as clean as possible so your smile will always stay and look healthy.
The following are ways you can ensure your dentures are always clean and in proper working order:
- When handling your dentures, stand over a clean, folded towel or a sink full of water. This way, if you accidentally drop your dentures, they are less likely to break or fall on the floor.
- Dentures are not immune from plaque and tartar build-up, so it’s important that you brush them every day. To brush your dentures, use a soft-bristled brush and gently brush the surfaces, being careful not to break or bend them. Between brushings, it’s important to rinse them or at least rinse your mouth after each meal.
- Clean with a gentle cleanser. Many toothpastes, household cleaners, and mouthwashes can be too hard on your dentures, so it is recommended that you use a mild hand or dish soap to get them clean. Make sure to check for the Canadian Dental Association (CDA) seal of approval on your cleaner, or ask your dentist which products may be best for you.
- When you are not wearing your dentures, they need to be kept moist. Dentures that are not kept in a denture cleaning solution or in water can dry out, lose their shape, or even crack and break. Certain styles of dentures require particular soaking solutions, so be sure to ask your dentist which solution is best for you.
- Keep your gums and tongue clean even if you have a full set of dentures. Be sure to use a soft-bristled brush to gently clean your gums and tongue every day.
- Remember to continue scheduling regular dental checkups to make sure that your dentures are performing properly so your smile stays healthy for many years to come.
If your dentures do break, please contact our clinic and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Broken dentures that don’t fit properly can cause irritation to your gums and mouth or may cause more serious oral issues.
Get in Touch With Us
Dentistry is all about smiles, and having a confident, healthy, and beautiful smile is important even for patients wearing dentures. Our clinic provides personalized denture services that meet the needs and comfort levels of every one of our patients.
For more information about our dentures dental procedure, feel free to give our office a call at 519-720-9119 – we’d love to hear from you. If you would like to set up a visit to our office, use our appointment page to set up an appointment with Dr. Pio Modi and begin the process of improving your smile today!