At Parkway Dentistry, we are happy to provide our patients with the Oravital System, a completely safe, easy, non-invasive, and highly effective treatment of periodontal disease and bad breath.
What is gum disease?
Also known as periodontal disease, gum disease is mostly caused by plaque and bacteria buildup that is not treated in its early stage. Other causes of periodontal disease include tobacco use, teeth grinding, some medications, and genetics.
Gingivitis is the beginning stage of gum disease. If detected, it is treatable. Gingivitis left untreated may turn into gum disease. Advanced gum disease will lead to tooth and bone loss, and is a permanent condition.
Brushing your teeth regularly, and visiting our office every six months, will help prevent gingivitis and more severe cases of periodontal disease. Common signs of gum disease are:
- Red, irritated, bleeding, or swollen gums
- Chronic bad breath
- Loose teeth, or loss of teeth
- Extreme tooth sensitivity
- Receding gum line
- Abscessed teeth
When you visit Parkway Dentistry, one of our Brantford dentists or dental hygienist will examine your mouth for any visible dental problems. He or she will also ask about your medical history to determine if you have any conditions or risk factors that could contribute to gum disease and/or breath odour. Next, your dental professional will follow the Oravital System’s five steps:
- Screening: Using a swab, your dental professional will take samples of bacteria from your tongue, throat, and teeth. These are sent to a laboratory, which conducts a microbial analysis to identify any harmful bacteria that are causing gum disease and breath odour.
- Treatment: If the report indicates there are harmful microorganisms in your mouth that are causing gum and/or breath problems, your dentist/hygienist will recommend an OraVital antiseptic or antibiotic rinse that is specifically targeted to killing the germs causing your infection. You use the OraVital rinse for approximately two weeks until the harmful bacteria are under control and a proper balance of healthy bacteria in your mouth returns.
- Evaluation: Following initial treatment, you will return to our Brantford dental office for another dental checkup to evaluate your gums and breath.
- Maintenance: Regular dental hygiene appointments and good oral homecare will help you maintain a healthy mouth. Along with regular brushing and cleaning between your teeth, using an OraVital maintenance rinse on a daily basis will help to prevent recurring breath and gum problems.
- Revaluation: Be sure to schedule regular appointments at Parkway Dentistry to check for bleeding or other gum problems. We recommend OraVital microbial testing at least once a year to see whether the bacteria in your mouth are still in balance. If harmful bacteria are increasing, infection could return. It’s easier to address any problems before this happens.
Your path to oral and total body wellness begins at Parkway Dentistry. Schedule an appointment today!